Pronunciation: [TOOR-nih-doh; toor-nih-DOH]
A beef steak cut from the tenderloin, measuring ¾ to 1 inch thick and 2 to 2½ inches in diameter. Since tournedos are very lean, they're sometimes wrapped in pork fat or bacon prior to cooking. They're classically served on fried bread rounds and topped with a sauce.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Tournedos with Bearnaise Sauce
- Tournedos Rossini with Chatue Potatoes
- Tournedos of Beef Forestiere
- Tournedos of Beef in Mushroom, Mustard and Red Wine Sauce with Caramelized Onion-Potato Gratin
- Tournedos Rossini-style with Glazed Vegetable Bouquetiere, Sauce Perigueux-style