Canned tomatoes are available in various forms including peeled, whole, crushed and those with herbs such as oregano and/or basil added. Tomato paste, which is available in cans and tubes, consists of tomatoes that have been cooked for several hours, strained and reduced to a deep red, richly flavored concentrate.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Roasted Tomato Bisque
- Orange-Scented Chilled Tomato Soup
- Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup
- Paste e Fagioli with Roasted Garlic
- Tomato Soup
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Sicilian Pasta with Tomatoes, Garlic and Almonds
- Cherry Tomato Fra Diavolo Sauce, Seafood and Pasta
- Veal-Filled Pasta with Tomato Sauce: Manicotti Magri
- Pasta Rags with Chicken Confit, Asparagus, and Teardrop Tomatoes
- Pasta with Winter Squash and Tomatoes