The bright orange-red roe of the flying fish. With its crunchy texture and mildly sweet flavor, tobiko is widely used in Hawaiian and Japanese cuisine. Wasabi tobiko is a brilliant lime green color and hot on the palate, both effects resulting from mixing tobiko with the Japanese horseradish, wasabi. Both are available in Asian markets, usually frozen.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Wonton Crisp with Cucumber Tobiko Caviar
- Ahi Tuna Parfait with Wasabi Tobiko Vinaigrette
- Oysters on the Half Shell with Green Tobiko Caviar and Yuzu Granitee
- Ahi Tuna Parfait with Two Caviars
- Scallops on the Half Shell with Wasabi Lime Vinaigrette