Pronunciation: [tehm-POOR-uh; TEHM-poor-uh]
A Japanese specialty of batter-dipped, deep-fried pieces of fish or vegetables. Tempura, which is usually accompanied by soy sauce, can be served as an hors d'oeuvre, first course or entrée.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Tempura Vegetables with Soy Sauce
- Tempura Battered Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches
- Tempura String Beans with Dipping Sauce
- Tempura Lobster and Enoki-Miso Salad Roll
- Tempura Mushroom Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms