Pronunciation: [tehm-POOR-uh; TEHM-poor-uh]
A Japanese specialty of batter-dipped, deep-fried pieces of fish or vegetables. Tempura, which is usually accompanied by soy sauce, can be served as an hors d'oeuvre, first course or entrée.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Tempura Soft Shell Crab and Asparagus with Yuzu-Maui Onion Salad
- Tempura Fried Squash Blossoms with Tomato Sauce
- Tempura Battered Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches
- Tempura Vegetables with Soy Sauce
- Tempura Asparagus with Soy Dipping Sauce