Also called sugar pea, this sweet pea is a cross between the english pea and the snow pea. It's entirely ediblepod and all. Sugar snap peas are available year-round. Choose plump, crisp pods with a bright green color. Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to 3 days. Sugar snap peas should be served raw or only briefly cooked in order to retain their crisp texture. See also pea.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Sugar Snap Peas with Sesame
- Sauteed Sugar Snap Peas
- Pea Greens Salad
- Sugar Snap Peas and Spinach with Ginger
- Herbed Snap Peas
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Butter Lettuce Salad with Pickled Sugar Snap Peas and Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- Wild Alaskan Salmon with Lamb Sausage, Manila Clams, Sugar Snap Peas, Fingerling Potatoes and Salsa Verde
- Sugar Snap Peas with Miso Sauce
- Grilled Snow Pea, Snap Pea and Fingerling Salad with Asparagus and Ramps
- Weeknight Roast Pork Loin with Snap Pea and Radish Salad