A pasta filata cheese (such as mozzarella) that has been stretched into a long, thin strand, then stacked in switchback fashion before being packaged. Also called Syrian or Armenian string cheese, this popular edible is mild flavored and chewy. Kids young and old love to pull off the strings and eat it out of hand. See also cheese.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Georgian Spinach Khachapuri
- Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes, Olives, Tuna and String Cheese
- Pepperoni Pizza Wrap
- Mortadella Stromboli
- Ring-My-Bella Mushroom Sandwich
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Crepe with Mango Goat Cheese Filling, Dark Chocolate Ganache, Bourbon Syrup
- Cheese Quesadillas with Guacamole
- Chicken, Broccoli and Cheese Garbage Bread
- Tomato Tart Tatin with Thyme Whipped Goat Cheese
- Cheese on Toast