Related to the lily, this underground bulb is prized around the world for the magic it makes in a multitude of dishes with its pungent flavor and odor. Dry onions come in a wide range of sizes, shapes and flavors. Among those that are mild flavored are the larger, more spherical Spanish onion, which is usually yellow skinned (but can be white) and typically in season from August to May; the white or yellow Bermuda onion, available March through June; and the red or Italian onion, which is available year-round.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Cold Hors d'Oeuvres
- Yucatan Chicken Puffy Tacos with Peanut-Red Chili BBQ Sauce and Red Cabbage Slaw
- Seared Mahi Mahi with Grilled Mango-Pineapple Salsa, Green Rice, and Black Beans
- Brined Roast Rack of Pork with Apple Chutney and Sour Mash Sauce
- Grilled Jerk Rubbed Whole Fish with Hot Vinegar (Escovitch) Sauce
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Orange, Red Onion and Fennel Salad
- Baked Mac 'N Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Duck Sausage
- Brined Turkey Breast with Spanish Spice Rub and Sour Orange Sauce
- Caramelized Onion Toasts