Related to the lily, this underground bulb is prized around the world for the magic it makes in a multitude of dishes with its pungent flavor and odor. Dry onions come in a wide range of sizes, shapes and flavors. Among those that are mild flavored are the larger, more spherical Spanish onion, which is usually yellow skinned (but can be white) and typically in season from August to May; the white or yellow Bermuda onion, available March through June; and the red or Italian onion, which is available year-round.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Roasted Pork Loin with Spanish Onion and Vermouth
- Pan Roasted Green Onion Romesco (Spanish)
- Spanish Beef Dips with Caramelized Manchego Onions (Nuevo Latino Beef Dishes)
- Roasted Clams with Hot Spanish Sauce and Sweet Onion and Grilled Pepper Relish
- Flatbread with White Bean Hummus, Caramelized Onions, Black Olives and Spanish White Anchovies