A bread with a slightly sour, tangy flavor created by using a special yeast starter as the for home bread bakers. Though most sourdoughs are made from all-purpose flour, there are many delicious variations including those made from whole-wheat or rye flour.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Sourdough Rye with Caraway Seeds
- Sourdough Hot Brown
- Sourdough Pancakes
- Sourdough Biscuits
- Sourdough, Grilled Tomato, Red Onion and Blue Cheese
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Lemon Curd Tart with Sourdough Pretzel Crust and Blueberry Compote
- Sourdough Crepes
- Fulton Fish Market Cioppino with Sourdough Croutons
- Spatchcocked Cornish Hen with Baby Leaf Salad and Sourdough Croutons
- Sourdough and Corn Pudding