n. A cocktail made by combining liquor with lemon juice and a little sugar. It's usually shaken with crushed ice and can be strained and served on the rocks or straight up. Sours are often garnished with an orange slice and a maraschino cherry. Though the whiskey sour is probably the most famous of these cocktails, they can be made with many other liquors including bourbon, gin and rum. sour adj. Having a sharp, tart taste, usually from an acidic ingredient such as lemon juice or vinegar.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Sour Cream Cornbread
- Sour Cream Cupcakes
- Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
- Sour Cream Mascarpone
- Sour Cream Cheesecake
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Brined Turkey Breast with Spanish Spice Rub and Sour Orange Sauce
- Amaretto Sour with Prosecco
- King Crab Tempura with Sweet n Sour Ponzu Sauce
- Pan Roasted Lamb Loin with Sweet and Sour Relish and (Smoky or Grilled) Eggplant Puree
- Sweet and Sour Braised Brisket