Cut from the beef flank, the skirt steak is the diaphragm muscle (which lies between the abdomen and chest cavity). It's a long, flat piece of meat that's flavorful but rather tough. Properly cooked, skirt steak can be quite tender and delicious. It can either be quickly grilled, or stuffed, rolled and braised. Recently skirt steak has become quite fashionable because of the delicious Southwestern dish fajitas.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Main Challenge: Skirt Steak Tostada with Black Beans and Mango Salsa
- Pomegranate Glazed Skirt Steak Fajitas
- Grilled Skirt Steak with Sweet Roasted Tomato Sauce and Roasted Shrimp, Black Bean and Orzo Salad
- Grilled Skirt Steak Gyros
- Skillet Seared Skirt Steak, Red Onions and Shishito Peppers with Arugula Salad in Honeybell Orange Vinaigrette