Categories: Cookware & Cooking Gadgets
n. A long, thin, pointed rod that comes in various sizes. Skewers are made of metal or wood; the former often has a ring at one end. They're most often used to hold meat in place during cooking, as well as to skewer meat and vegetables to be grilled for shish kebab. The best skewers are square or flat shapes that hold food securely when moved. skewer v.To impale small pieces of food on skewers.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Skewers of Baby Lamb: Spiedini di Abbacchio
- Skewers of Grilled Prawns with a Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Skewers (Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wings)
- Super Soft-shell Crabs, Bayou Bacon Wrapped Oysters, Louisiana Charbroiled Oysters, Grilled Gulf Shrimp Skewers
- Lamb Skewers a la Plancha with Piperrada
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Steak Skewer
- Watermelon-Tomato Skewer
- Yucatan Chicken Skewers with Peanut-Red Chile BBQ Sauce and Red Cabbage Slaw
- Grilled Scallion Skewers
- Classic Greek Salad Topped with Grilled Calamari Skewers