A moist version of shrimp paste, with the same strong, salty shrimp flavor. Shrimp sauce is pink in color when fresh but will begin to gray as it ages. It's used both as a condiment and flavoring. Shrimp sauce is also known as bagoong, hom ha and patis. See also fish sauce.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Shrimp Cakes with Roasted Shrimp Sauce
- Thai Shrimp
- Hugo's BBQ Shrimp with Blue Cheese Slaw
- LoLa Shrimp and Parmesan Polenta Grits with Tomato Basil Concasse
- Spicy Red Curry Braised Shrimp
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Stuffed Shrimp with Creole Meuniere Sauce
- Seared Shrimp in Endive Leaves with Parsley Sauce
- Camarones al Carbon: Grilled Tiger Shrimp with Two Sauces
- Shrimp and Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce
- Spicy Shrimp with 2 Sauces