A moist version of shrimp paste, with the same strong, salty shrimp flavor. Shrimp sauce is pink in color when fresh but will begin to gray as it ages. It's used both as a condiment and flavoring. Shrimp sauce is also known as bagoong, hom ha and patis. See also fish sauce.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Shrimp Cakes with Roasted Shrimp Sauce
- LoLa Shrimp and Parmesan Polenta Grits with Tomato Basil Concasse
- Hugo's BBQ Shrimp with Blue Cheese Slaw
- Spicy Red Curry Braised Shrimp
- Thai Shrimp
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Saute of Shrimp over Fried Green Tomatoes with Warm Remoulade Sauce
- Pan-Seared Shrimp with Romesco Sauce, Creamy Grits, and Greens
- Spicy Shrimp with 2 Sauces
- Shrimp with Garlic Sauce
- Taylor's Shrimp with Spaghetti in Garlic-Butter Sauce