Though it's most commonly a rich biscuit, shortcake can also refer simply to cake. The classic American shortcake is a large, sweet biscuit that is split in half, then filled and topped with sliced or chopped fruit (traditionally strawberries) and softly whipped cream. Shortcake is most often thought of as a dessert but savory versions can be made by filling and topping the biscuit with creamed chicken or other food.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Cardamom Shortcake with Maple Berries
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Stacked Strawberry Shortcakes
- Cream Cheese Shortcakes
- Bacon Shortcakes with Peanut Butter Whipped Cream
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Raspberry and Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Shortcake Cake
- Strawberry and Blueberry Shortcake
- Italian-Style Strawberry Shortcake