A sweet, golden wine made from fermenting freshly steamed glutinous rice. Most rice wines are low in alcohol. The most well-known Japanese rice wines are sake and mirin; those from China include shaoxing, Chia Fan, Shan Niang and Yen Hung.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Steamed Vegetables with Rice Wine Vinaigrette
- Marinated Penn Cove Mussels in a Rice Wine and Sesame Vinaigrette
- Asian Pear Salad with Tiny Beans, Rice Wine Vinaigrette, Honey Crusted Almonds and Pear Glazed Scallops
- Red Wine Rice with Grapes
- Hungarian Rice Pudding Cake with Red Wine Cherry Sauce