To melt animal fat over low heat so that it separates from any connective pieces of tissue, which, during rendering, turn brown and crisp and are generally referred to as cracklings. The resulting clear fat is then strained through a paper filter or fine cheesecloth to remove any residue. Try out is synonymous to render.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Red Wine Risotto with Chorizo
- Glazed Pork Loin Chop
- Wild Georgia Shrimp and Crab Cake with Pearl Onion Marmalade, Wild Georgia Shrimp, Chili Sour Cream, Bacon and Garlic Grits
- Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
- Andouille Cheese Grits with Crawfish Sauce
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Peanut Coated Chicken Thigh Tenders with Curry Coconut Sauce
- Crunchy Parmesan Chicken Tenders
- Tender Artichoke Hearts
- How to Turn Out Tender Shrimp
- Italian Stracciatella with Mini Meatballs, Tender Cheese Tortellini and Baby Spinach