To melt animal fat over low heat so that it separates from any connective pieces of tissue, which, during rendering, turn brown and crisp and are generally referred to as cracklings. The resulting clear fat is then strained through a paper filter or fine cheesecloth to remove any residue. Try out is synonymous to render.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Red Wine Risotto with Chorizo
- Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
- Braised Kale with Red Bell Pepper and Bacon
- Glazed Pork Loin Chop
- Andouille Cheese Grits with Crawfish Sauce
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- How to Crisp Tender Greens
- Crunchy Parmesan Chicken Tenders
- Kathy Baker's Beef Tender
- Tender Artichoke Hearts
- Italian Stracciatella with Mini Meatballs, Tender Cheese Tortellini and Baby Spinach