A coarse dark bread with a slightly sour taste. Pumpernickel is usually made of a high proportion of rye flour and a small amount of wheat flour. Molasses is often used to add both color and flavor.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Smoked Trout Mousse on Pumpernickel
- Screaming Crab Melts on Pumpernickel
- Turkey Pastrami on Pumpernickel
- Pumpernickel Pastrami Panini with Rosemary-Ale Jus
- Squash Soup with Pumpernickel Witches and Spicy Blood Droplets (Spicy Roasted Squash Soup with Pumpernickel Toast)