Any domesticated bird used as food. Centuries ago the Chinese began raising a variety of birds that were gradually brought to the West via Asia, Greece and Rome. Today there are many domesticated varieties of poultry including chicken, turkey, duck, goose, Rock Cornish hen, guinea fowl and pheasant. All poultry ranks high nutritionally. It's classified as a complete protein, is a good source of calcium, phosphorus and iron, and contains riboflavin, thiamine and niacin.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Grilled Curry Cornish Hens
- Cornish Game Hen: Spatchcock Hen
- Spatchcocked Cornish Hen with Baby Leaf Salad and Sourdough Croutons
- Cornish Game Hens with Wild Rice Stuffing
- Cornish Game Hens with Cornbread Stuffing
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Balsamic Chicken Drumettes
- Duck Stew Foggia Style with Olives, Fennel Seeds and Tortiera
- Deviled Chicken Thighs
- Easy Chicken-Mushroom Quesadillas
- Murray Bridge Chicken