Pronunciation: [pom duh TEHR]
A French phrase that literally means "apple of the earth," but which refers to the potato. The phrase is usually shortened to simply pommes, as in pommes frites (french fries).
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Pommes de Terre Persillade
- Les Petits Pomme de Terre Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Pommes de Terre Sautees Tata Boucher (Sauteed Potatoes)
- Duck L'Orange with Herbed Pommes Frites
- The Apple Lady's Apple Cake (Gateau aux Pommes de la Reine des Pommes)