Pronunciation: [pom duh TEHR]
A French phrase that literally means "apple of the earth," but which refers to the potato. The phrase is usually shortened to simply pommes, as in pommes frites (french fries).
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Les Petits Pomme de Terre Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Pommes de Terre Sautees Tata Boucher (Sauteed Potatoes)
- Pommes de Terre Persillade
- De-Pudged Pigs in a Blanket
- Creme de Menthe Parfaits
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Pommes De Terre a la Boulangere: Potatoes a la Bakery
- Bell Peppers Stuffed with Rice in Tomato Sauce (Pimientos Rellenos de Arroz con Salsa de Tomates)
- Steamed Mussels with Pommes Frites
- Granizado de Mango y Maracuya (Mango and Passion Fruit Shaved Ice)
- Gateau de Sirop