A sweet or savory dish made with a crust and filling (such as fruit, pudding, meat or vegetable). Pies can have bottom crusts only, or top and bottom crusts or, as with deep-dish pies, only a top crust. Sweet pies are generally served as dessert and savory pies as the main course or appetizer. Crusts can be made of a variety of mixtures including short crust pastry, puff pastry, cookie crumbs, meringue and even, as with shepherd's pie, mashed potatoes.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Paula Deen Savannah High Apple Pie
- Caramel Apple-Pear Granola Cream Pie
- Campfire Pie
- Apple and Quince Pie
- Sunburst Cherry Blossom Pie
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Refrigerator Pie
- A Real Pie: Pizza Rustica
- Perfectly Flaky Pie Crust
- Fresh Peach Fried Pies with a Cinnamon Crust and Roasted Peach and Raspberry Ice Cream
- Coconut Cream Pie