A spice blend used in mixtures to pickle various foods, as well as to season certain dishes. The blend can differ greatly according to the manufacturer, and the ingredients (usually whole or in coarse pieces) can include allspice, bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, ginger, mustard seeds and peppercorns. Prepackaged pickling spice mixes are sold in most supermarkets.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Candied Dills
- BBQ Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Shrimp Cocktail with Rocoto Chile Dipping Sauce
- Old-Fashioned Pickle Barrel Pickles
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Five-Spice Blend
- Whole Roasted Turkeys with Fennel Spice Rub
- Pan Roasted Frenched Pork Rib Chop with Five-Spice, Caramelized Onion Chutney and Orange Dusted Merlot Demi
- Grilled Corn with Five Spice and Lime
- Asian Spice Rubbed Ribs with Plum-Ginger Glaze