A spice blend used in mixtures to pickle various foods, as well as to season certain dishes. The blend can differ greatly according to the manufacturer, and the ingredients (usually whole or in coarse pieces) can include allspice, bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, ginger, mustard seeds and peppercorns. Prepackaged pickling spice mixes are sold in most supermarkets.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- BBQ Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Refried Bean and Monterey Jack Quesadillas with Pickled Onions
- Old-Fashioned Pickle Barrel Pickles
- New England Boiled Dinner
- Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Screaming Spice Cookies
- Eight-Spice Squash and Chicken Thighs Stew with Lentil Rice
- Brined Turkey Breast with Spanish Spice Rub and Sour Orange Sauce
- Maple Spice Ice Cream
- Sugar and Spice Acorn Squash