1. A beefsteak generously sprinkled with coarsely ground black pepper, sautéed in butter and served with a sauce made from pan drippings, stock, wine and cream. Pepper steak is sometimes flamed with brandy or cognac. In French it's called steak au poivre. 2. A Chinese stir-fry dish consisting of strips of steak, green pepper and onion cooked with soy sauce and other seasonings.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Pepper Steak Salad with Mango, Avocado and Jalapeno Vinaigrette (New Dynamic Beef Dishes)
- Tempeh Pepper Steak
- Pepper Steak and Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms
- Pepper Steak Skewers
- Bourbon Pepper Steak
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Saint Louis Pepper Steak
- Sweet Pepper and Steak Salad
- Strip Steak with Pepper Cream Sauce
- Pepper-Crusted Tuna Steak with Teriyaki Sauce and Wasabi Smashed Potatoes
- Grilled Green Chile-Stuffed Pepper Steaks Wrapped in Bacon