A hand-held grinder designed for crushing dry peppercorns. Pepper mills are made from a variety of materials including plastic, wood and ceramic. The internal grinding mechanism is generally made of stainless steel. Good pepper mills can be adjusted to produce fine or coarse grinds. Freshly ground pepper has a sharper, more lively flavor than the preground variety.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Sloppy Shmoes
- Turkey and Eggs
- Super Tuna
- Involtini di Tonno Messinese (Tuna Rolls
- Polenta with Mascarpone
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Oven-Roasted Halibut with Black Olive Tapenade on Roasted Red Peppers (Rape Asado con Tapenada Negra Y Pimientos Morrones)
- Clementines with Vinegar and Pepper
- Bell Peppers Stuffed with Rice in Tomato Sauce (Pimientos Rellenos de Arroz con Salsa de Tomates)
- Frittata with Peppers and Onions with Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce
- Roasted Red Pepper-Tomato Pizza with Goat Cheese, Basil and Red Chili Oil