1. Any of various unleavened doughs, the basics of which include butter (or other fat), flour and water. Examples include puff pastry, pâte brisée (pie pastry) and pâte sucrée (sweet short pastry). 2. A general term for sweet baked goods such as danish pastries and napoleons.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Pumpkin Pastries
- "High Roller" Mushroom Puff Pastry
- Puff Pastry Pinwheels Filled with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Pesto
- Parmesan Puff Pastry
- Spinach and Feta Puff Pastry Bites
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Salmon Baked in Puff Pastry with Truffles
- Cheese and Spinach Puff Pastry Pockets
- Stacked Puff Pastry with Cherries
- Strudel Pastry Austro-Italian Style
- Traditional Neapolitan Pastry Horn: Sfogliatelle