A highly seasoned beef made from a cut of plate, brisket or round. After the fat is trimmed, the meat's surface is rubbed with salt and a seasoning paste that can include garlic, ground peppercorns, cinnamon, red pepper, cloves, allspice and coriander seeds. The meat is dry-cured, smoked and cooked. Pastrami can be served hot or cold, usually as a sandwich on rye bread. It's widely available in chunks or presliced in most supermarkets.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Pastrami Football Finger Sandwiches
- Pastrami Rueben aka "The Rachel"
- Pastrami Reuben Melt
- Pastrami Cupcakes
- Pastrami Spice-Encrusted Venison with Huckleberry Ketchup
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Pastrami-Style Gravlax with Sweet English Mustard on Pumpernickel Toast
- Duck Pastrami, Pickled Red Onion, Mustard, Rye Toast
- Duck Pastrami on French Bread with Onion Marmalade
- Wolf Hash-Home Fries with Pastrami, Corned Beef, and Salami Tidbits
- Reuben Style Casserole with Pastrami Meatballs, Sauerkraut and Barley