1. In the United States, this dessert consists of ice cream layered with flavored syrup or fruit and whipped cream. It's often topped with whipped cream, nuts and sometimes a maraschino cherry. 2. A French parfait is a frozen custard dessert made with egg yolks, sugar, whipped cream and a flavoring such as fruit purée. In French, parfait means "perfect," which is how many view this dessert. Both American and French parfaits are served in tall, narrow, footed "parfait glasses."
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Lobster Parfaits with Teardrop Tomatoes, Hearts of Palm, and Cilantro-Avocado Dressing
- Crab Parfait
- Berry Parfait with Coconut Granola
- Strawberry Parfait
- Muesli Parfaits
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Engagement Ring Parfait
- My Buddy Dan's Mile High Chocolate and Butterscotch Parfait Pie
- Apricot-Yogurt Parfait with California Granola
- Dessert Island Parfait
- PB and J Yogurt Parfait