An Italian bread salad made with onions, tomatoes, basil, olive oil, vinegar and seasonings and chunks of bread. Some versions also include cucumbers, anchovies and/or peppers. More traditional recipes call for soaking the bread in water and then squeezing the water out. Others suggest browning the bread in olive oil before adding it to the salad.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Panzanella with Feta and Basil
- Panzanella Verde
- Panzanella Stuffed Heirloom Tomatoes
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Artichoke and Tomato Panzanella
- Panzanella (Stale Bread Summer Entree)
- Roasted Greens Panzanella Salad