A fresh, unripened cheese, similar to farmer cheese or pot cheese. Paneer, also spelled panir, is made from whole cow's or buffalo's milk and curdled with lemon or lime juice or with whey from a previous batch. It's essentially the same cheese as chenna, but paneer has been pressed until its texture is firmcomparable to that of tofu. Paneer, which is customarily diced and sautéed, is used throughout India in a variety of dishes including dal, salads and vegetables; it's an essential protein source in many vegetarian diets.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Paneer: Homemade Indian Cheese
- Saag Paneer: Spinach with Indian Cheese
- Saag Paneer
- Muttar Paneer
- Spicy Paneer Fingers with Dates and Almonds
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Paneer Pakoras
- Paneer-Stuffed Peppers
- Indian Cheese (Homemade Paneer)
- Green Beans with Paneer in Fresh Tomato Sauce
- Indian-Style Fresh Cheese with Spinach: Palak Paneer