Pronunciation: [PAH-lehk pah-NEER]
In India, palak means "spinach"; paneer is a type of fresh, unripened cheese. It's logical, therefore, that palak paneer dishes contain spinach and cheese. Such dishes can include various other ingredients and be prepared in many ways. For example, palak paneer pulau is a rice dish with spinach, paneer, lemon juice and various seasonings like coriander, cayenne pepper, cumin and mustard. Palak paneer sak contains finely chopped (sometimes puréed) spinach and chiles along with various seasonings and fried cubes of paneer.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Paneer: Homemade Indian Cheese
- Saag Paneer: Spinach with Indian Cheese
- Saag Paneer
- Muttar Paneer
- Aloo Palak
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Indian-Style Fresh Cheese with Spinach: Palak Paneer
- Zucchini Paneer
- Green Beans with Paneer in Fresh Tomato Sauce
- Paneer-Stuffed Peppers
- Spinach and Paneer Turnovers with Mango Basil Chutney