A dark-brown sauce consisting of oysters, brine and soy sauce cooked until thick and concentrated. It's a popular Asian seasoning used to prepare myriad dishes (particularly stir-fry dishes) and as a table condiment. Oyster sauce imparts a richness to dishes without overpowering their natural flavor. It's available in many supermarkets and all Asian markets.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Roasted Onion and Smoked Chile Oyster Sauce
- Sauteed Lettuce and Oysters
- Oyster and Sea Urchin Stew
- Barbecued Oysters
- Sam's Spam Schnitzel with Truffleyaki Sauce over Kim Chee Fried Rice
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Oyster Sauce Chicken with Bok Choy
- Mussels in Oyster Sauce
- Beef in Oyster Sauce
- Mussels with Asian Basil and Oyster Sauce
- Smoked Oysters on Crackers with Hot Sauce