A dark-brown sauce consisting of oysters, brine and soy sauce cooked until thick and concentrated. It's a popular Asian seasoning used to prepare myriad dishes (particularly stir-fry dishes) and as a table condiment. Oyster sauce imparts a richness to dishes without overpowering their natural flavor. It's available in many supermarkets and all Asian markets.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Sauteed Lettuce and Oysters
- Roasted Onion and Smoked Chile Oyster Sauce
- Oyster and Sea Urchin Stew
- Barbecued Oysters
- Sam's Spam Schnitzel with Truffleyaki Sauce over Kim Chee Fried Rice
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Mussels with Asian Basil and Oyster Sauce
- Oyster Sauce Chicken with Bok Choy
- Beef in Oyster Sauce
- Mussels in Oyster Sauce
- Fried Oysters with Tomato-Remoulade Sauce