Ground meat (such as beef, turkey, lamb or pork) mixed with various seasonings (like onions, bell peppers, herbs, ketchup, and so on) and bound (see bind) with eggs or bread-crumbs. The mixture can be either spooned into a loaf pan or hand-formed into a loaf shape and placed in a baking pan before being baked. Meatloaves can be topped with various ingredients such as cheese or sauce, and served both hot and cold.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Trompe L'oeil Meatloaf
- Cheeseburger Meatloaf and Sauce
- Ed's Mother's Meatloaf
- Meatloaf with Mustard and Sour Cream Gravy
- Meatloaf Muffins with Barbecue Sauce
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Lamb and Veal Meatloaf: Polpettone
- Roast Meat Loaf or "Hedgehog"
- Dad's Meatloaf with Tomato Relish