This all-purpose apple has a bright red skin sometimes tinged with green. Its flesh is medium-crisp and juicy, and its flavor is tartly sweet and perfumy. The McIntosh doesn't hold up to lengthy cooking. See also apple.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Warm Spinach and McIntosh Apple Salad with Bacon
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake
- Brown Butter Apple Crostata with Apple Cider Caramel Sauce
- Roasted Apples with Sabayon Sauce
- Three-Apple Crumble
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Cranberry Apple Roasted Turkey Breast
- Cream of Green Apple Soup
- Garden Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Spinach and Green Apple Salad
- Caramel and Three Chocolate Apples