A word used throughout India for a spice blend with myriad variations. It can refer to a simple combination of two or three spices (such as cardamom, coriander and mace) or a complex blend of 10 or more ingredients. The principal masala blend used in India is garam masala, the variations of which are countless, depending on the cook and the dish being seasoned.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Masala Sauce
- Masala Burgers with Tangy Tamarind Sauce and Red Onion-Mint Relish
- Masala Chai
- Chicken Masala
- Garam Masala Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Garam Masala Chicken Pot Pie
- Garam Masala Grilled Strip Loin
- Spicy Chai Masala Cocktail
- Chai Masala
- Garam Masala