To add a leavening agent to a mixture such as a batter or dough in order to make it rise. See also ammonium bicarbonate; baking powder; baking soda; eggs; yeast.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Grape Leaves
- Fall Leaf Cookies
- Grape Leaves Stuffed with Bulgur or Cracked Wheat and Cumin from Rhodes
- Banana Leaf-Wrapped Island Spice Mahi Mahi with Tamarind Mango Coconut Sauce
- Chocolate Leaves
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Beef Tossed with Wild Betel Leaf and Lemongrass: Bo Xao La Lot
- Pan Roasted Skirt Steak with Fingerlings and Ramp Leaves with a Pickle Sauce
- Dolmades: Stuffed Vine Leaves
- Poached Shrimp with Bay Leaves and Lemon
- Lime Leaf Chicken Salad with Lime Aioli, Crunchy Lime Topping On Charred Tomato-Brown Rice Pilaf