To add a leavening agent to a mixture such as a batter or dough in order to make it rise. See also ammonium bicarbonate; baking powder; baking soda; eggs; yeast.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Leaf Lard Crust
- Tea Leaf Shrimp
- Fall Leaf Tuile Cookies
- Grape Leaves
- Grape Leaves Stuffed with Bulgur or Cracked Wheat and Cumin from Rhodes
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Shredded Red Leaf Salad with Creamy Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Olive and Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade with Endive Leaves
- Seared Shrimp in Endive Leaves with Parsley Sauce
- Banana-Leaf Wrapped Steamed Fresh Cod with Udon Noodles in a Mushroom Dashi Broth
- Whole Leaf Caesar Salad