An all-purpose apple with a bright red skin freckled with gold. Jonathans have a spicy fragrance and the flesh is juicy, sweet-tart and quintessentially appley. Though this apple may be used for cooking, it's not good for baking whole. See also apple.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake
- Brown Butter Apple Crostata with Apple Cider Caramel Sauce
- Roasted Apples with Sabayon Sauce
- Warm Taffy Apples with Cinnamon Twists
- Apple Crisp with Bourbon Cream
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Baked Prosciutto and Brie with Apple Butter
- Country Ham and Apples
- Apple Crumble Bars
- Green Apple Martini
- Gingerbread Pancakes with Butterscotch Apples