A fish family of more than 200 species, including pompano, amberjack, bar jack, blue runner, crevalle jack, green jack, horse mackerel (not a true mackerel), rainbow runner, rudderfish, trevally, yellow jack and yellowtail. Although some jack species aren't particularly good to eat, many particularly pompano are considered excellent and have a rich, firm, delicately flavored flesh. Jacks are found around the world in the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Pacific.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Jack-O-Lantern Cupcakes
- Jack's Best Pals Master BBQ Sauce
- Jack-O'-Lantern Cookies
- Jack and Cola Bread Pudding with Whiskey Ice Cream
- Jack O'Lantern Stew
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Chocolate Pecan Pie with Semisweet Chocolate and Jack Ice Cream
- Nacho Jack-o'-Lantern Cheese Ball
- Baby Greens, Apple-Smoked Chicken and Gouda/Pepper Jack Salad with Amber Bock Dressing
- Quesadillas with Jack and Spicy Saute
- Prosciutto-wrapped Scallops with a Dry Jack Pesto over Linguine