This favorite pizza topping is a coarse pork sausage, generally sold in plump links. Italian sausage is usually flavored with garlic and fennel seed or anise seed. It comes in two styles hot (flavored with hot, red peppers) and sweet (without the added heat). It must be well cooked before serving.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Sausage Calzones
- Roasted Sausage and Bell Peppers
- Sweet Sausage and Eggplant Penne
- Deconstructed Sweet Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- Italian Sausage and Egg Bake
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Baked Ziti in a Mornay Sauce with Italian Sausage and Fennel
- Lasagna with Sausage and Butternut Squash
- Italian Sausage
- Zucchini and Squash Pasta with Sweet Italian Sausage and Pappardelle
- Chicago Style Italian Sausage and Pepper Deep Dish Pizza