This huge sandwich goes by many names, depending on where it's made. Among its aliases are submarine, grinder, hoagie and poor boy (or po' boy). Generally, the hero sandwich consists of a small loaf of Italian or French bread (or a large oblong roll), the bottom half of which is heaped with layers of any of various thinly sliced meats, cheeses, tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, peppersanything for which the cook is in the mood.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Hero Sandwich
- Three Tasty Tea Sandwiches
- Pressed Cheese Sandwiches
- Mexican Telera Sandwich
- Monte Christo Sandwiches
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Egg-Sausage Sandwich with Pickled Jalapeno
- Taiwanese Pickle Sandwich
- Fickle Pickle Fried Green Tomato Sandwich
- Pulled Whisky Chicken BLT Sandwiches
- Hello Dollie Ice Cream Sandwich