This huge sandwich goes by many names, depending on where it's made. Among its aliases are submarine, grinder, hoagie and poor boy (or po' boy). Generally, the hero sandwich consists of a small loaf of Italian or French bread (or a large oblong roll), the bottom half of which is heaped with layers of any of various thinly sliced meats, cheeses, tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, peppersanything for which the cook is in the mood.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Hero Sandwich
- Three Tasty Tea Sandwiches
- Pressed Cheese Sandwiches
- Tempura Battered Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches
- Monte Christo Sandwiches
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- The Big-Ass Turkey Caesar Sandwich
- Tarragon Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches
- Bacon-Wrapped Pork Meatloaf Sandwich
- Mozzarella, Prosciutto, Pesto and Plum Tomato Sandwiches
- Nutella Sandwich