A dark brownish gray cultivated mushroom that resembles a tightly ruffled puff edged in white. The name of this rich-flavored mushroom is said to come from the fact that its shape vaguely resembles the body of a hen. Also called maitake and kumotake. See also mushroom.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Orange Love Blitz
- Frogmore Stew
- Wood Grilled Boneless Pork "T" Bone
- Wood Oven Roasted Lamb Chops with Red Onion Marmalade and Celery Root Puree
- Wood-Roasted Striped Bass with Meyer Lemon and Olive Relish
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Wood-Fired Leg of Lamb
- Cream of Green Apple Soup
- CHILLED MOUSSE OF PIKE WITH A TRUFFLE AND LOBSTER SALAD
- Salt Roasted Prime Ribs of Beef
- Garlic Studded Loin of Venison with a Berry Reduction