A dark brownish gray cultivated mushroom that resembles a tightly ruffled puff edged in white. The name of this rich-flavored mushroom is said to come from the fact that its shape vaguely resembles the body of a hen. Also called maitake and kumotake. See also mushroom.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Orange Love Blitz
- Frogmore Stew
- Wood-Roasted Striped Bass with Meyer Lemon and Olive Relish
- Wood Oven Roasted Lamb Chops with Red Onion Marmalade and Celery Root Puree
- Wood Roasted Soft Shell Crab and Asparagus Salad
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Wood-Fired Leg of Lamb
- Antipasto Platter of Hard Sausages
- Millefeuilles Served in a Whiskey Glass with your choice of Chocolate, Vanilla and Raspberry Pastry Cream
- Crisp Red Snapper with Ragout of Potatoes, Onions, Artichokes, and Green Olives with Sauce Vierge
- Cold Puree of White Bean Soup with a Crispy Pancetta and Creole Tomato Relish