Pronunciation: [JEER-oh; ZHEER-oh; gk. YEE-roh]
A Greek specialty consisting of spiced minced lamb that is molded around a spit and vertically roasted. The hot roasted meat is shaved off as the spit turns, then tucked into a pita and topped with grilled onions, sweet peppers and tzatziki (cucumber-yogurt sauce). The Middle Eastern version of the gyro is shawarma.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Salmon Gyro with Tomato-Red Pepper Relish and Spicy Herbed Tzatziki
- Gyro Meat with Tzatziki Sauce
- Lamb Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce and Spicy Sour Cream Sauce
- Lamb Gyro with Tomato Relish and Chimichurri Sauce
- Spice-Blackened Steak Gyro with Pickled Onions