Pronunciation: [gwah-kah-MOH-lee; gwah-kah-MOH-leh]
A popular Mexican specialty of mashed avocado mixed with lemon or lime juice and various seasonings (usually chili powder and red pepper). Sometimes finely chopped tomato, green onion and cilantro are added. Guacamole can be used as a dip, sauce, topping or side dish. It must be covered closely and tightly to prevent discoloration.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Roasted Chile Guacamole with Baked Tortilla Chips
- Guacamole With Cumin-Dusted Tortilla Chips
- California Tacos and More - Guacamole
- My Famous Guacamole
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Chunky Guacamole: Guacamole Picado
- Guacamole Especial
- Cauliflower-Lentil Tacos with Fresh Guacamole