Related to the lily, this underground bulb is prized around the world for the magic it makes in a multitude of dishes with its pungent flavor and odor. There are two main classifications of onion: green onions (also called scallions) and dry onions, which are simply mature onions with a juicy flesh covered with dry, papery skin.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Grilled Green Onion Flatbread
- Pan Roasted Green Onion Romesco (Spanish)
- Fried Green Bean Bundles
- Green Onion Tartar Sauce
- Crab and Wild Mushroom Cheesecake with a Green Onion Coulis
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Hickory-Smoked Pork Chops with Braised Greens and Green Onion Rice Pilaf
- Beer-Battered Fried Okra Stuffed with Crabmeat and a Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
- Miso Riesling Ribeye with Green Onion Kicker
- Creole Spiced Blue Crabs with Green Onion Dipping Sauce
- Black Squid Ink Risotto with Grilled Prawns, Lobster and Green Onion Vinaigrette