French for "gastric," referring culinarily to a syrupy reduction of caramelized sugar and vinegar, sometimes with the addition of wine. Gastriques are typically used in savory dishes that include fruit, such as oranges or tomatoes.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Roasted Stuffed Pork Loin with Sweet Potato Puree, Radicchio, and a Molasses Gastrique
- Shrimp and Grits with Creamed Spinach, Tomato Confit and Smoked Bacon Gastrique
- Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with a Granny Smith Apple Gastrique and Crimini Mushroom Potato Puree and Root Vegetable Melange and Apple Frisee Salad with Carrot Oil
- Chicken Veloute with Pearl Onions and Peas
- Tequila Glazed Shrimp Salad Flambe