1. Also called Mountain oysters, Rocky Mountain oysters and prairie oysters, these are the testicles of an animal such as a calf, sheep or boar. Those from a younger animal are best. Fries can be special-ordered through most meat markets. They should be used as soon as possible, preferably within a day of purchase. Though they're not terribly popular in the United States, testicles are considered a delicacy in Italy and France. They can be sautéed, deep-fried, braised and poached. See also . 2. Abbreviated term for french fries.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Bbq Spiced French Fries
- Cheesy Fries with Ham and Egg
- Perfect French Fries
- Pommes Frites (French Fries
- Shoestring Fries with Truffle Aioli
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Pimp My Fries
- French Fries with Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise
- Bonus Waffle Recipe: Waffle Breakfast Fries
- Shoreline Fried Halibut with Tofu Fries, Soy Sauce Aioli, Mushy Edamame and Soy Vanilla Milkshake
- Bake-tastic Butternut Squash Fries