1. A simple oil-and-vinegar combination, usually seasoned with salt, pepper and various herbs. This classic dressing is also referred to as vinaigrette. 2. A commercial American dressing that is creamy, tartly sweet and red-orange in color.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- "French" Dressing and Iceberg Lettuce Chopped Salad
- French Dressing
- Wedge Salad with Homemade French Dressing
- Green Salad with Homemade French Dressing
- Iceberg Lettuce Salad with Tangy Tomato-Tarragon "French" Dressing
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Eggplant and Oyster Dressing
- Bibb and Radish Salad with Bacon Dressing
- Warm Spinach Salad with a Fire-Roasted Corn and Crispy Pancetta Dressing and Crumbled Goat's Cheese
- Pan-Fried Cornmeal Crusted Trout with Succotash and Mixed Baby Greens with a Buttermilk and Lemon Dressing
- Simple Side Salad with Lemon-Honey Dressing