1. A simple oil-and-vinegar combination, usually seasoned with salt, pepper and various herbs. This classic dressing is also referred to as vinaigrette. 2. A commercial American dressing that is creamy, tartly sweet and red-orange in color.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- French Dressing
- "French" Dressing and Iceberg Lettuce Chopped Salad
- Wedge Salad with Homemade French Dressing
- Cobb's Old Fashioned French Dressing
- Green Salad with Homemade French Dressing
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Crab and Avocado Salad with Japanese Dressing
- Tangled Carrot and Broccoli Sprout Salad With Tahini Dressing
- French Macaroons
- Iceberg Wedges with Pancetta Gorgonzola Dressing
- Grilled French Toast with Strawberries and Rosemary