Categories: Bread Dishes
A light, crusty, yeast-raised bread made with water instead of milk. The dark brown, intensely crisp crust is created by brushing or spraying the loaf's exterior with water during the baking process. French bread comes in many shapes, including the classic long, thin baguette, rounds and fat ovals.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Baked French Toast Casserole
- Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup
- Olive Cheese Bread
- Bread Pudding Souffle with Whiskey Sauce
- Stuffed French Bread
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Swiss Chard au Gratin French Bread Pizzas
- Duck Pastrami on French Bread with Onion Marmalade
- French Onion Soup Topped French Bread Pizzas and Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- Grilled French Bread Pizza with Mushroom Pesto and Fontina Cheese
- Home-Style French Bread