n. 1. A soft drink (such as root beer) with a scoop or two of ice cream floating in it. 2. A small amount of liquid (such as liqueur or cream) that sits atop another liquid without mixing in. float v. To slowly pour a liquid (such as liqueur or cream) onto the top of another liquid so that it floats on top of the liquid below. In the case of a pousse-café, several liquids are floated, one on top of the other, so as not to mix together.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Stout Float with Orange Blossom Honey and Gingersnap Tuile
- Guinness Float
- Caramel Floats
- Sarsaparilla Float
- Stout Float
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Framboise and Creole Cream Cheese Ice Cream Float
- Cherry Cola Float
- Strawberry Fields Ice Cream Float
- Rose Brut Champagne Float with Raspberry Sorbet
- Caramel Ice Cream and Guinness Float with an Espresso Syrup Cake