1. A generic term for bread that is thin and flat, leavened or not. Breads like chapati, focaccia, fougasse, lavash, naan, pita and pizza are often referred to as flatbreads. 2. Thin, crackerlike traditional Scandinavian crisps are usually made with rye flour, though some are based on flour blends (wheat, barley or potato). Flat breads (flatbrod in Norwegian) are most often served with soups, salads or cheeses.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- California Flatbread
- Grilled Mushroom Flatbread with Truffled Pecorino
- Za'atar Flatbread with Lebanese Veggie Slaw and Goat Cheese
- Almost-Famous Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Flatbread Sandwiches
- Whole Wheat Garlic Flatbread