1. A generic term for bread that is thin and flat, leavened or not. Breads like chapati, focaccia, fougasse, lavash, naan, pita and pizza are often referred to as flatbreads. 2. Thin, crackerlike traditional Scandinavian crisps are usually made with rye flour, though some are based on flour blends (wheat, barley or potato). Flat breads (flatbrod in Norwegian) are most often served with soups, salads or cheeses.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- California Flatbread
- Whole Wheat Garlic Flatbread
- Grilled Mushroom Flatbread with Truffled Pecorino
- Flatbread with White Bean Hummus, Caramelized Onions, Black Olives and Spanish White Anchovies
- Almost-Famous Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Flatbread Sandwiches