Long, thin and fibrous, this boneless cut of beef comes from the animal's lower hindquarters. It's usually tenderized by marinating, then broiled or grilled whole. In the case of London broil, the flank steak is cut and cooked in large pieces, then thinly sliced across the grain.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Flank Steak Crostini with Chimichurri and Vidalia Relish
- Surf n' Turf- Flank Steak and Prawns with a Salad of Grilled Romaine
- Marinated and Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce, Yucca Fries and Avocado, Tomato and Red Onion Salad
- Grilled Flank Steak with Parsley Sauce, Roasted Sweet Peppers and Grilled Onions and Goat Cheese Potato Puree
- Lime-Marinated Flank Steak with Herb Salad