Used extensively in chinese cooking, this pungent mixture of five ground spices usually consists of equal parts of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, szechuan peppercorns. Prepackaged five-spice powder is available in Asian markets and most supermarkets.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Five Spice Sea Scallop with Seared Foie Gras served on Parsnip Puree finished with a Port Wine Fig Sauce
- Five-Spice Pork With Roasted Oranges and Broccoli
- Five-Spice Duck Tostada with Ginger-Chile Cream Dressing
- Five-Spice Grilled Duck with Citrus Sauce and Couscous
- Five Spice Seared Duck - Asian Greens Spring Roll