Concentrated, usually oily substances extracted from food such as fish, mint leaves, vegetables or flowers and used in small amounts to flavor various dishes. Like extracts, essences will keep indefinitely if stored in a cool dark place.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Essence, Rustic Rub, and Southwest Seasoning
- Caramelized Essence of Celery Consomme
- Bacon Wrapped Butterfish Served Peasant Style
- Salt and Pepper Calamari with Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Andouille-Crusted Redfish with Creole Meuniere Sauce
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Fried Chicken Wings with Emeril's Essence
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Orange Essence
- Emeril's Creole Seasoning (Essence)