Concentrated, usually oily substances extracted from food such as fish, mint leaves, vegetables or flowers and used in small amounts to flavor various dishes. Like extracts, essences will keep indefinitely if stored in a cool dark place.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Caramelized Essence of Celery Consomme
- Colorado Lamb and Caramelized Onion Mash with Lamb Fennel Essence
- Spiced Codfish with Roasted Eggplant Puree and Tomato Essence with Curry Onion Rings
- Opah Baked in a Pistachio Crust with Ginger Essence
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Orange Essence