Concentrated, usually oily substances extracted from food such as fish, mint leaves, vegetables or flowers and used in small amounts to flavor various dishes. Like extracts, essences will keep indefinitely if stored in a cool dark place.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Caramelized Essence of Celery Consomme
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Orange Essence
- Cheddar Onion Bangers and Mash with Guinness Essence
- Opah Baked in a Pistachio Crust with Ginger Essence
- Colorado Lamb and Caramelized Onion Mash with Lamb Fennel Essence